Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, minds are waiting for you.

Daven

The Remarkable Sarah Hale

"self-serving" is the phrase I was looking for in the part about Ben Franklin's argument as to why women should be educated. 🙂

Thanks for another great episode! Exceptional topic on an amazing human and it gave me a new appreciation for Thanksgiving even though I'm not American.

I came here to say that I felt like you did wrong by Betty James, wife of the slinky guy. Considering the way she ran the company after her husband walked out on the family to join the Wycliffe Bible Translators in Bolivia, I think she deserved to be named.

I don't want to give you too much of a hard time since it was a follow up but I wanted to tell you in case you left it out because you thought we wouldn't care.

https://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org/archive/slinky/

• Thanks 1

I haven't completed the episode yet, but in the part when you're discussing Ben Franklin's justification for educating women, the reason that it wouldn't be politically correct might be that it is justification based only on the benefit  that educating women might have for men, arguing from the position that elevating women's role in society is only worth doing if men benefit from it. In short, he wasn't just being self-serving, he was being patriarchy-serving (don't jump my case. I'm not making this argument, I'm just using the vocabulary of someone who would make this argument).

"might be that it is justification based only on the benefit  that educating women might have for men,"  This is exactly what I was trying to grasp for there, but not finding the words.  All that said, I should have also explicitly mentioned that Ben Franklin was known for his rather subtle sense of humor, often embedding jokes and satire that take quite a bit of digging to uncover.  So much so that in the forward to the autobiography, the rather distinguished editor claimed that this is one of the reasons there was hesitation to let Franklin write the Declaration of Independence. Instead, they had him just as an advisor on its wording, and directed the much less qualified Jefferson to take the lead.

I could definitely see arguing that women should be educated only because of the benefit it would have for men being one of those instances of very subtle satire. 😉 Or, if not, at least to modern eyes, it's kind of a humorous away to argue that. 🙂

A few notes on spam:

1. Do not eat it raw. It isn't good that way. 

2. Eat it fried. It is quite good fried, tasting like a cross between ham and bacon. 

3. Spam is so fatty that it pretty much self fries. You can lightly grease frying pan, toss the spam in and cook, and the fat of the spam itself will fry the spam. 

Mmm, spam. Breakfast of champions. 

" Do not eat it raw. It isn't good that way." Yep, definitely concur with that. It was like eating exceptionally fatty ham that smelled like wet cat food...