Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, minds are waiting for you.

Alex9762

How do people type in other languages? (especially with special characters like Japanese)

I'm wondering how people type in other languages, because I'm pretty sure I've only seen laptop keyboards with the English alphabet on it. I know about making keys bound to different characters that you just have to memorize (like with the Russian and Ukrainian alphabet). But what about languages where that just doesn't seem possible to my understanding, like Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.?

I add and use keyboards for both Kana and Romaji for the Japanese language with a predictive feature. If I type kaimono (shopping) on my keyboard this hiragana will appear かいもの (ka-i-mo-no) then a predictive kanji for kaimono (shopping) 買い物 will appear and I have to tap or click it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In addition to roman character entry (type 'k' then 'a' for 'か'(ka), there are also Japanese keyboards that allow you to type one key for each kana. There aren't enough keys on a standard keyboard to use this keymapping though, you'll be missing a few characters if you use it on a standard keyboard.

Conversion to kanji after that is the same as when using roman character entry (typically hit tab repeatedly to cycle conversion options, enter to confirm on the one you want).

Oh, also on phones, there's a really clever flick input. The top-left is 'a' if you click it, but i/e/o/u if you flick in the cardinal directions. Each of the other keys is similar for other rows of the kana table (ka-row being ka-ki-ku-ke-ko, etc.)  This fits on the standard telephone keypad, and then the side buttons are used for voice marks, large/small, and conversions. Also of course you can simply use handwriting input on phones, which is nice for kanji.

Edited by DreadPirateChris

On 3/1/2019 at 10:34 AM, ganymede19 said:

I add and use keyboards for both Kana and Romaji for the Japanese language with a predictive feature. If I type kaimono (shopping) on my keyboard this hiragana will appear かいもの (ka-i-mo-no) then a predictive kanji for kaimono (shopping) 買い物 will appear and I have to tap or click it. 

That sounds very tricky especially for beginners.