Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, minds are waiting for you.

Sign in to follow this  
Pellaken

Getting a discord for TIFO

I know this idea was poopooed on the podcast, but I think it could be interesting. Since Simon and Daven do not seem familiar with Discord, I'd like to try to explain what it is and how it works.

It's a chat room. The reason I think some people (at least me) want one is not so much so that we can chat with Simon and Daven, but so that we can chat with other TIFO fans. I'd like to think that due to the nature of the content, we are, as a group, intelligent and curious about the world. I enjoy chatting with people who are these things and think others would as well. 

The only/major downside is you need someone to run it, IE moderators. Once you have these in place, the discord basically can/will run itself. You need not ever drop by.. That being said, people may enjoy it if you guys did, and you could have events if you wish where you come on to the discord. You could also gate some channels behind patreon donations, which would be a way of driving/encouraging donations (I've donated just to get in a discord before) 

Discord has both text and voice chat features, but most people tend to use it for text unless the discord is very gaming focused; still it helps to have a voice channel to relax in with friends. 

As a neat bonus note that Discord allows for various coloured roles. I've included a picture of what a TIFO discord might look like

Untitled.png

• Like 1

This got mentioned in the podcast, so I wanted to let daven and simon know this is actually the third time they've mentioned me :P as I am "Teddy Boragina" from youtube!

a discord would be nice as it is not too bad to moderate, different roles can have their own private chanels (such as patreon channels, staff channels and TIFO-staff channel)

plus it comes with decent voice channels, channel "groups" and you can also "mute" them if they get too busy with a message every second

finally discord has a few handy tools such as audit logs (shows what staff have created or changed and if anybody has deleted or edited stuff) plus i think it has a "chat delay" featue oh and have i also mentioned that you can have custom bots too? so you can have a robot relay any new youtube video to a channel

• Like 1