Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, minds are waiting for you.

Daven

Episode 9: The Bull Moose Part 1

Ya, one of the more remarkable people in modern history.  And one of the best parts is because he wrote so many articles and books and stuff like this, we actually have a lot of insight into how he thought about things and his own first hand account/thoughts on everything from day to day matters to major world events.  Really a huge fan of Teddy Roosevelt. ?

It wasn't a war either county really  wanted, on hindsight....

England was too busy dealing with Napoleon, the Peninsula War... then the Napoleonic wars.... generally  the English national pastime of "kicking the sh*t out of the French" to concentrate on America, it was just back and forth wins and losses....Uss constitution got it's nickname of old ironsides in the war of 1812... but then the UK  did burn down the white house and the English commander admiral George Cockburn had a great quote, while also burning down a printing press and newspaper, of "be sure that all the C's are destroyed  so that the rascles cannot any longer abuse my name"

Long story short, no one won but the native Americans definitely lost... also the end of the US federalist party....

I was just happy my ~2 decade old vague recollections of the War of 1812 from only mildly paying attention to it in history class weren't totally off base upon further review.. ?  Also from reading up on it now, there are a lot of interesting stories connected to it. Probably should do some episodes on it at some point. ?

On 5/15/2018 at 1:34 AM, Daven said:

I was just happy my ~2 decade old vague recollections of the War of 1812 from only mildly paying attention to it in history class weren't totally off base upon further review.. ?  Also from reading up on it now, there are a lot of interesting stories connected to it. Probably should do some episodes on it at some point. ?

I would love there to be an episode on it, it's not studied at all in the UK but it's a big deal in Canada, Canadian friends I know even refer to it as their war of independence, they're very proud of a Canadian heroine named Laura Secord walked 20 miles from American-occupied territory to warn the British of an impending attack by the Americans. Shes still honored by Canadians and remembered for her bravery.

So much happened and it's kinda swept under the carpet of the Napoleonic wars, for instance  New England fiercely opposed “Mr. Madison’s War” from the very start, and the region suffocated under British naval blockades. By 1814, the starving citizens of Nantucket pledged neutrality, the Massachusetts governor sent a secret emissary to negotiate a separate peace with the British and some New Englanders even advocated secession!

Definitely worth an episode right? 

I made a forum account just to post this:

My family actually legally changed our last name when we came to Australia because everyone kept saying it differently/wrongly. 

So we went from Rönström, to Robertson. 

Thanks for listening, bye.