Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, minds are waiting for you.

Sign in to follow this  
Daven

On Growing a YouTube Channel (Discussion Thread)

In this episode of the Brain Food Show, we cover a myriad of tips and tricks to help grow a YouTube channel and maximize the odds of being successful in that space, including covering elements of the YouTube algorithm, thumbnail design, etc. Much of this talk was gleaned from interesting things we learned at VidCon Amsterdam, and particularly from the various talks given by Matt and Stephanie Patrick from the hugely popular Game Theorists channel.

On another note, if you could do us a huge favor and rate and review this show in whatever podcasting platform you're using (including hopefully giving us some feedback related to the new format), we would be extremely grateful. Thanks!

In the podcast you mentioned changing the way you make the YouTube thumbnails, and I have to say, I really dont like the way the new ones look. I think what you were doing before was really good. If there was a way you could combine the click bate factor with how nice they looked before, that would be amazing. But also the game theroist is not a good channel. Mat Pat is really annoying and I would take advice from him with a huge grain of salt. 

But I am not a youtuber, just a fan who has grown up watching youtube since it started, and I have to say, the new thumbnails are not making me excited to click your videos. They look garish and out of place. But whatever helps you guys get more views so you keep making videos is a plus. 

• Like 1

Ya I also don't particularly like the GameTheorists' style of videos, though given what I now know about how much thought they put into every little thing (and how extremely data driven it is- it is truly impressive how much data they have compiled and how deep they dive), I'm guessing their style is very purposeful. ?

And ya, this is kind of the point with the thumbnails- they do inherently not look terribly good. But the data at hand strongly implies they get more clicks in this style. (I assume precisely because they're garish and out of place, so draw the eye :-))  We'll, of course, be analyzing the data coming in as well, but need a large samplesize owing to youtube not providing any way to split-test thumbnails or anything like that. I also assume if everyone starts doing their thumbnails in this way, it would quickly lose its effect and going back to ultra-nice looking thumbnails would then perform better. ?