Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, minds are waiting for you.

Daven

Episode 14: Julius Caesar's Pirate Adventure and the Long Lost Location of the Rubicon

The pirates that kidnapped Caesar were not Sicilians.  They were Cilicians, based in the Asian side of Turkey. 

Regarding the political issues that awaited Caesar at home  His political ally, Pompey, turned on Caesar after the death of Crassus, the third member of their triumvirate who, it turns out, was really the key in keeping that tense political union together.  

Just before Crassus' death, Pompey's wife died in childbirth, along with the baby.  That wife was Caesar's daughter!  

Caesar, being very good at customer service, offered Pompey his great-niece's hand in marriage in an attempt to secure his political support.  Pompey declined the offer.

So, yeah, things were tense in Rome, and Caesar knew he had no friends left, save his army.

One last crazy twist: Caesar had originally pledged his daughter to someone else to marry before breaking that deal to marry her off to Pompey.  Who?  Marcus Brutus.  Yes, the 'Et tu, Brute' Brutus.

Roman history is so awesome....  It gave us Asterix, too. =)

• Thanks 1

It made me giggle to hear the Princess Bride reference, and blew me away that Simon hasn't seen the movie...  Enjoyed the show, but I truly feel that this episode could have been longer.  Maybe more info into the political tensions and state of Rome at the time of his decision to move his army across the Rubicon...  Set the stage for me.  

" Maybe more info into the political tensions and state of Rome at the time of his decision to move his army across the Rubicon "

You're going to like episode 3 ?