Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, minds are waiting for you.

Daven

The Macabre Series

A quick note on your sponsor: You mentioned that they focus on being "natural." Using whole ingredients as you noted, is a good thing. However, it should be noted that the difference between natural and artificial flavors is quite silly. The chemicals that make up the flavoring are typically identical, however the sourcing of raw materials is the only difference. See reference for details :)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-difference-be-2002-07-29/

So, I'm listening to episode 1 today and, wew, that "ad".  

like you could boil down the whole thing to:

"on the topic of eating people we finally have an ad"

"oh an ad for what"

"food!"

"what kind of food"

"its this thing you can put sawdust in"

"neat! they told me I have to read this list to you!"

"Awesome, so more about dead bodies"

edited to ad - I dare you guys to read that on the podcast as feedback :P:P:P

Edited by Pellaken

I was not aware that woman are more interested in the macabre as a whole, but I am certainly a woman and I enjoy thee macabre. 

It was just delightful to hear Simon try to say my name in the macabre episode 4 when he read my review on iTunes. It sounded so exotic! But sadly it’s just a complicated way to spell what should be Mia Craig. (Like Momma Mia, and Jenny Craig)

Love this show! 

Edited by Meia Krage

Simon loves him somr sexual dolphin! I feel like you have to cover it now after mentioning it so many times. Never knew you were so interested in the sex life of aquatic mammals ??

Edited by Rich

Random note on kids learning quicker than adults, I was a good video that touched on this. Look up the Backward Bicycle, It's just pretty interesting to see how this guy learnes to ride this bike over months of trying and then how his kid learned how to ride is much quicker.  Also a side note, I liked the whistle

I also have a comment related to the children vs adults learning language faster.  I will begin by saying that I have a linguistics degree though I have not specifically read up on studies looking at speed (in years or hours, anyway) of learning, so I am curious also about this topic.  If you have mentioned in a later podcast I will get to it, but can you possibly share some links to the studies you found?  I am curious also whether those studies are looking more at classroom based learnjng, full immersion learning, or just conparing first language vs second language acquisition.

Related, however, there is some feedback I do have experience with.  So, related more to your discussion about needing to learn a first language before a certain age to avoid other mental deficiencies, there is a critical period of language learning (different scientists will differ on what ages they say that is, though it is more of a sloping chart than an immediate drop off anyway, so it depends more how you classify it, I have seen age 5 being the cutoff and in school I was also taught age 12, so yeah, varied), and like I said, this is related to the brain needing a language thing, BUT it goes even further than that, and it ties into why it is important to teach languages to children rather than adults no matter the difference in time it may take to teach them.

Chiefly, any language learned during that critical period can be learned to native fluency, and can be learned much more easily than any language learned later, especially as an adult.  This is why when a family with kids moves overseas, even if the whole family is fully immersed, the kids will learn the language better and much more easily than the adults, generally.  This is a major reason why you will often see immigrants getting their kids or grandkids to communicate with people and stores and the doctor's office and such.

In addition to that, for every language learned during that critical period, it becomes easier to learn more languages after that period.  So for example someone who grows up bilingual will find it much easier to become trilingual and beyond than someone who grew up monolingual.  That said, kids who are learning more than one language growing up will often learn each individual language to full fluency a bit slower, and will often have gaps where they fill in with the other language until the learn both languages fully, but as long as they stick with all the languages they are learning they will not only learn all the languages in question as well as any other average  native speaker but it will also help them in other areas, especially math and science.

Anyway, thought that was worth feedback, always love when you talk about linguistics, please do more.

• Like 1

Hi Daven! I'm not sure if you are atill researching on children's acquisition of language vs adults. I would also like to comment on this topic although my feedback is anecdotal as I am not a linguist.

My personal experience is that it is easier for children to learn languages. My mother tongue is Spanish and, until the age of nine I lived in my native country, Colombia. My parents are native Spanish speakers but they wanted me to learn English so we spoke it at home and I went to an American school. I was perfectly bilingual when we moved to Belgium. There, I was also in an American school so my daily life was in English and Spanish but I had three French lessons a week. After one year, I was fluent in French with no accent. By the time I left Belgium 22 years later, I was fluent in those three languages and knew some German (I had German lessons in my last two years in high school) and Flemish (which I had started to pick up). I had also had a gap year in Slovkia and learned basic Slovak.

Fast forward twenty-some years I moved to Germany with my family. Even with some knowledge of German and conditions similar to those as I had learning French as a kid, I have not been able to come close to being fluent in five years! My grammar is appalling and I dare say my German is worse than when I graduated high school! 

As for my children, all four went to the same German school.. Both of my girls, who were six and four when we came" learned German in one year and speak it like the locals. My younger son, who was almost 8, is fluent but not as perfectly as my daughters. My oldest son, who was nine when we came, took the longest to learn and speaks very well, but he is still not 100% fluent..

Simon needs to go home for Christmas. There is music in the shops in England. If you go at Christmas you'll hear Noddy Holder blaring 

About Germany: it's perfectly legal to drive around naked as long as you're wearing shoes. During the June heatwave, my husband came across a man in a moped wearing nothing but a helmet and a pair of shoes. 

A question for Simon: what's worse, Jeremy Bentham's shriveled head or Maria Elena's preserved body?

Edited by Adri