Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, minds are waiting for you.

Mommab30

Women Listeners

I love the podcast format - I checked out you tube channel and its alright too but I find the conversation of the podcast much more engaging.  I can't speak for all women of course but for myself, I use podcast instead of YouTube because It doesn't require my undivided attention.  I can listen to a podcast while driving when lying in bed while cleaning etc.  I, of course, am aware of Youtube but I don't have much luxury time to just sit and watch a channel.  If Youtube is playing it's on the TV and either my husband or children are using it and they are not watching what I want to watch.  My podcast is on my phone and I can engage and listen as I choose.  I feel like other moms/wives may deal with the same issues and this is why you have limited female audience on YouTube but I would love to see if other ladies feel the same.

I agree. I also don't want to speak for all women but in my experience I think it is hard for women to have the time to sit down and engage in something like youtube. I have a 2 year old and a 2 month old and a career and a house to take care of so I'm afraid multitasking is all I can do and the listen only format lends itself to that. I am a fan of the youtube videos as well I just don't have time to get to them regularly. I enjoy the banter of a podcast and enjoy the longer ones!

On a separate note, I also listen to a very popular true crime podcast that has an active community (SSDGM). It has been brought up several times in that community that the majority are women and we have discussed why that might be. The gist is that women think about and feel as if they are more likely to become victims of a crime (specifically murder) so we feel the more we know the better prepared we are to deal with situations thus helping with the anxiety. For example, if rent is incredibly cheap for a nice apartment, a man might think the neighbors are loud or something is wrong with the apartment that isn't obvious. A woman might think that the apartment is a part of a murder castle a la H. H. Holmes and therefore avoided getting murdered. ?

Sorry to be long winded and I'd love to see other opinions. Also, bring on the pole! I'm interested in the results! 

I too am a huge true crime fan.  H.H. Holmes would be a terrible landlord!  Ha  After making this post the other day I also considered that women may enjoy the podcast because women love conversation!  I mean YouTube is interesting but not engaging in my opinion.  I love the open conversation, the banter back and forth and the longer espisodes are by far my favorite!

A thing I'm wondering about if the whole women don't watch edutaining youtube videos isn't a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy: I am subscribed to a number of educational youtube channels, but I never get recommendations for other educational content, just older videos from channels I am already subscribed to.

Another thing I will note is that podcasts are for when I'm travelling/working (I do mindless physical work) and youtube videos are for when I can sit and watch stuff.

Interesting point there. It is possible the algorithm has picked up women in general don't watch a lot of educational youtube, so simply is less likely to recommend those videos, even to women who do sometimes watch.

I’ve never been married and I have no kids. 

I’m a huge fan of trivia and tend to listen to all of your YouTube videos rather than watch them. I have a hard time finding good educational ones usually because of their voices and/or music selections  

I’ve noticed that I have to watch 4-5 videos before I receive recommendations.  

Yours is also the only educational podcast I listen to.  The rest are pop culture and TV.