Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, minds are waiting for you.

Daven

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World Series

Regarding Latin pronunciation, perhaps Daven and The Internet™ are missing each others points?

It has been quite common for people to claim that we can't know anything about Latin pronunciation because it is a dead language, but that much at least is untrue as it ignores what we can do with techniques like comparative linguistics studying its extant descendants (the Romance Languages in general). We of course can't work everything out with comparative linguistics, and we can't be 100% sure on the things we can work out, but we can be pretty sure on some points at least.

(For another fascinating example of the usefulness of comparative linguistics, it's worth looking into what we've been able to work out about Proto-Indo-European, itself much older than Latin.)

Just listening to this episode now and I thought I'd weigh in on the whole does building on a swamp help with earthquake survivability. As far as I know it actually makes it worse. That kind of earth experiences liquifaction during an earthquake and provides less stability than normal earth. This happened in San Francisco in 1906.